Adrenal fatigue is when there is an imbalance in and disruption of the function of the adrenal glands and their ability to make cortisol in the right amounts when needed.
Adrenal fatigue is on the rise, even though it is not recognised as a legitimate medical condition by most doctors, it is becoming more and more common in today’s society.
The kind of chronic stress, unhealthy eating, unhealthy thinking and generalised inflammation that most of humans face nowadays is a recipe for adrenal fatigue and chronic unexplainable burn out.
Why does Adrenal Fatigue Happen?
Adrenal fatigue in most people, is generally caused by long periods of physical, emotional, and mental stress. When someone is in a permanent state of stress it causes a long array of other issues such as bad sleep, blood sugar issues, eating disorders, mental health issues and unstable blood sugar.
All of these factors add to the overall drain on the adrenal glands. The adrenal glands then perceive all this stress as a constant attack and they struggle to keep up with the demands made on them, thus burning out or struggling to function normally.
What Can You Do To Heal?
Here are a few suggestions on how to bring healing and balance to symptoms of adrenal fatigue:
- Follow a supportive eating plan: The best way to eat for support of adrenal fatigue is to firstly cut out all refined foods and chemicals. This means, no sugar, no gluten, no wheat, and no unhealthy meats. Introduce lots of brightly coloured vegetables, lean clean protein, and whole grain gluten-free carbs. A strict no-carb diet can stress the body even more, worsening adrenal burnout so steer clear of these.
- Early bed time: It’s important to replenish your sleep and get proper rest to rejuvenate your body. Get to bed before 10pm every night, this may mean a change in lifestyle, but it’s an important one.
- Heal your gut and reduce inflammation: Your gut is the centre for a lot of the most important processes in your body, look into introducing gut healing foods and herbs and work on reducing inflammation.
- Introduce nutrients: For your thyroid and adrenals to function properly, look into taking Vitamin D, selenium, magnesium, and zinc.
- Hydration: Staying hydrated is really important for our bodies and organs to function optimally. Drink 2 – 4 litres of water per day and have a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in a glass of water first thing before doing anything else in the morning.
- Balance between rest and exercise: Ensure you’re doing low impact exercises like gentle yoga or Pilates, walking is great too. But don’t overdo it, go slowly and gently. Rigorous exercise can burn your adrenals out even further. Also find time to rest each day. Switch off all devices and sleep or meditate, the middle of the day is the best time for most people.
- Emotional and stress release: Find healthy ways of releasing and managing your stress such as trying the online betting NZ has to offer, meditation, conscious dance and breath-work. Dealing with old traumas and supressed emotions is also really important when trying to heal your adrenals.